following is a list of verbs commonly used in CV and Cover Letter writing. Use
this list to choose the action words that can help your CV and Cover Letter
become stronger and more powerful.
- Management and
leadership skills: Use words such as executed,
improved, developed, and directed.
- Creative skills: Use verbs similar to created,
evaluated, customized, invented, originated and revised.
- Technical skills: Use words such as
assembled, fabricated, operated and programmed.
- Communication and People
verbs like addressed, developed, influenced and negotiated.
- Financial skills: Use words such as audited,
budgeted and balanced.
- Research and Analytical
skills: Use verbs similar to developed,
documented, edited and investigated
- General accomplishments
words such as achieved, eliminated, initiated, invented
- Administrative skills: Use words similar to arranged, collected, ordered and purchased.
- Teaching skills: Use words like coached,
instructed and persuaded.
- Helping skills: Use verbs such as assisted,
guided and volunteered.
There are more sample in Handouts for Action Verbs